Monday, October 14, 2013

Compare and Contrast

We haven't yet covered the skill of compare or contrast this year, so I didn't really know what to expect. Since I wasn't sure what and how much my kids would know, I tried to plan accordingly. Thankfully, the lesson was just right! It allowed my kids to practice identifying specific details in a text and compare/contrast them to other details. I was surprised to find that a lot of the kids were only comparing the people in each story, not events or things. I feel like we learned a lot and accomplished something today. :) Here's what we did







We did a little warm up activity by completing a paper plate venn diagram on two pictures. I gave the plate to one person, they wrote something on the diagram and then asked someone else if they had something to add. The venn diagram was passed around to several people before we moved onto the next activity.




These sheets will be used throughout the week as morning work/warm ups. We need a lot of practicing with writing summaries so these will work great! If you'd like a copy, let me know and I'll upload them. 
**Updated 10/16: These printables can now be found here and here :) :)

Now for the main part of the lesson. We divided into groups and went around the room to a passage, like the one below:

Each group read the passage, identified the two characters/things/events that were in the text, and completed a venn diagram on the similarities/differences





That's how we spent our day :) Be sure and head over to Southern Belle Inspired to find out where to get these gorgeous pencils. Every teacher needs pretty pencils, right? :)
Have a great week, y'all!


14 comments:

  1. I would love these. Please upload. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love these as well! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a copy! THANKS!
    Marcy
    marcy_sundling@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a copy of these would make my day:) Thank you for posting such wonderful ideas!!
    vlatka@nutleyschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. These activities would make my day:) Thank you for posting such wonderful ideas!!
    vlatka@nutleyschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love a copy too! Thank so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. please let me know if you upload these!! Kenzie mahorras@muscatine.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these are great! I would love for you to upload!
    maryradsf1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love the summarizing sheets. My class is really struggling with that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to teach compare/contrast! I would definitely use copies of your worksheets! How did you enlarge your stories so nicely?
    Lisa
    schmidlj@milwaukee.k12.wi.us

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love a copy! This a great activity :)

    Thanks,
    Jessie
    Look Who's Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too would love a copy of these. Do you have the stories you used on TPT?

    morganmrobbins@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I noticed you used paper plates for your Venn diagrams. I used to do that too. I am having a giveaway on my blog. Come and check it out!

    Alyse
    Keep Calm and Apple On

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love a copy too!
    ashleyp77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete